Recently I asked some of my Paid Marketing pals what frustrated them about Google Analytics. As someone who likes to work smarter, not harder, I’m always on the lookout for time-saving inspiration.
From the feedback I got, a big gear grinding time sink for them was the Audience creation in the Google Analytics property admin. This is a 3 step process similar to creating a segment, but it’s super slow if you have to create 10 new audiences one by one.
This was a lightbulb moment, the Google Analytics API (Guide Here) has the functionality to create audiences. With a bit of programming, I was able to build a tool using Google Sheets for the user’s input, and Google App Scripts bound to the sheet to turn that user input into new Audiences.
You can make a copy of this tool by following the link below ?
Using the Maker tab, you define a simple Audience on each row. Each row requires the IDs for the Google Analytics View, the conditions of the Audience, and a Google Ad Account to link this to. You just need to authorise my script (unverified) with the login you use for GA to bulk upload the new Audiences to a Google Analytics View.
I have included a tab with a 5 step guide for getting started with this.
- Make a new copy of this sheet
- Login with the same login you use for Google Analytics access
- A new (simple) Google Analytics Audience will be created for each row you complete, all cells must have a value
- Press UPLOAD, it will ask for authentication, this isn’t a verified script so a warning may appear, choose the (unsafe) option at the bottom
- After authorization you will need to hit the UPLOAD button again, you should see the last upload details to the right of the button once complete
I’ve also released a short video that walks through this process –
If you have any bugs, or suggestions for improvements let me know below. If you have any questions or suggestions for future tools like this, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on LinkedIn. If you want to get regular updates from us, sign up for our newsletter below!